Libraries Connected is delighted to see public libraries being recognised once again in the New Year Honours list. During the pandemic, library teams worked tirelessly to continue to serve their communities and support their local authorities’ Covid response.
Library leaders Zoinul Abidin, Head of Universal Services, London Borough of Barking and Dagenham; Nick Partridge, Head of Libraries at Sheffield City Council; Krystal Vittles, Head of Service Delivery, Suffolk Libraries; and Fiona Williams, Chief Executive Officer, York Explore all received a British Empire Medal (BEM) this year for their service to libraries.
Library managers, Andy Wright, Library Development Manager, Kirklees Libraries; Lesley Davies, Senior Development Manager, Communities, Sefton Library Service; William Johnston, Branch Manager, Omagh, Libraries NI; and Darren Smart, Strategic Manager of Libraries, Registrations and Archives, Kent County Council also received BEM medals.
Isobel Hunter MBE, Chief Executive, Libraries Connected:
‘This has been another challenging year for libraries and their communities and so it’s wonderful that such a wide range of individuals in different library roles around the country have been recognised in this year’s honours list. This demonstrates again how important every team member is to their library service. I would like to congratulate all the award winners for their years of service and dedication to their communities.’
Congratulations also go to:
- Karen Napier, Chief Executive Officer of The Reading Agency, which works with Libraries Connected to deliver its Universal Library Offers for Reading and Health and Wellbeing. Karen received an MBE for her services to arts, culture, reading and public libraries.
- Dave Rowe, Founder of Libraries Hacked who donated his time last year to help Libraries Connected to make its website more accessible. Dave received a BEM for his services to public libraries.
Others receiving honours this year for their services to libraries include:
- Ann Cleeves, Author
- Louise Smith, Deputy Director, Arts and Libraries Team, DCMS
- Don Martin, Local Studies Librarian (Retired), East Dunbartonshire Libraries
- Robert Perks, Lead Curator, Oral History and Director of National Life Stories, British Library
- David Smith, Chair, Community Managed Libraries Network
- Stewart Parsons, Director, Get it Loud in Libraries
- Hanina Simon, Manager, Redbridge Schools Library Service